Wednesday 7 May 2014

OUGD501 CoP2 Evaluation


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
05
 Module Code 
OUGD501               


 Module Title
Design Context


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME

Sophie Abell


1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I feel as if my knowledge on different subjects have been improved massively by attending the lectures and seminars which has resulted in me being able to write in good detail analysing the different contextual issues relating to Graphic Design. I feel also that my writing ability has improved massively in being able to discuss thoroughly what I want to say with regards to what I have learnt by successfully relating it to works that have been done in the past.




2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

As I thoroughly enjoy packaging and branding I feel as if the knowledge I had learnt from lectures has shown through by successfully creating a Unisex product. Previously I have always never really made prototypes I have always gone from the idea/development stage and just made the final piece, however as my time management has improved this allowed me to make time to design the prototypes and then gone to making the final piece. I feel as if this has resulted in a more improved piece that works better. I know realize the importance of making time for prototypes to developing ideas more successfully.






3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

 The biggest strength I believe is the confidence in being able to write to a high standard and not feel to worried about writing long pieces of text. As I chose the subject that I was going to write about as it was something that I am quite passionate about and have a general interest in allowed me to write to a higher degree because I had researched and read a lot of books that which gave me the ability to write to a higher standard. I also feel as if my research skills have improved not only with the practical side but also within the contextual aspect of design. As I feel the module has been successful I feel as if this is perhaps the reason why along with not feeling too rushed when completing it so, Research and time management will be something I will always make sure that is done to a high standard because I feel the result shows through.








4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

Biggest weakness would be craft skills, although I felt as if I had everything under control and I know what I wanted to do, I feel that my craft skills still lack in that it became a bit sloppy when it came to gluing. I wanted to steer clear of using white stock only because in a lot of my projects I always use a white stock, however a white stock seemed the most fitting, I did however experiment printing on acetate but then I came across the problem of being able to stick it to the bottles, and as I didn’t have the tools to rectify this issue I couldn’t do it. In future I will make sure I have printed spare copies that in the chance that I make an error I can rectify It as I have a back up.




5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
-Blog- Although I was up to date with the study tasks and blogging all the sessions and lectures etc, I still feel as if I Could have perhaps done more blogging.
-Make spare copies so that it allowed me to make mistakes and have time to rectify them.
-Attend more crits, when it comes to both the essay and the practical side to make the most of the help that is at hand but also to help improve ideas and the design.
-Use coloured stock, to widen my design ability
- Ask for help, I always find essay writing daunting and a bit scary but as soon as I have spoke with someone I always feel better, so next time this is something that I will aim to do.




6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



x

Punctuality


x


Motivation



x

Commitment



x

Quantity of work produced


x


Quality of work produced

x



Contribution to the group


x


The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment